What is Candida?
Candida is a fungus, which is a form of yeast. It is found in small amounts in the mouth and intestines.
Candida helps with digestion and the absorption of nutrients, but when there is too much of it, it “leaks” through the intestinal wall, and enters the blood stream. Here it releases toxins that are harmful to the body, and often leads to what is known as “leaky gut”.
How do you get Candida overgrowth?
Candida levels are usually regulated by the good bacteria in your gut, but different factors can cause it to form an overgrowth:
- Too much refined carbohydrates and sugar
- Overconsumption of alcohol
- Oral contraceptives
- Foods like sauerkraut and pickles which cause fermentation
- Constantly being in high-stress situations
- Antibiotics that kill the good bacteria in the gut
10 Common Candida symptoms are:
- Infections of the skin and nails
- Constantly feeling tired (chronic fatigue)
- Digestive issues (bloating, constipation, or diarrhea)
- Diseases such as – Multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Rheumatoid arthritis
- Difficulty keeping focus and being easily distracted
- Skin issues (hives, psoriasis, eczema, and rashes)
- Feeling irritable, depressed or having mood swings
- Infections such as vaginal infections , urinary tract infections, or rectal itching
- Seasonal allergies and/or itchy ears
- Strong cravings for sugar and refined carbohydrates
Testing for Candida overgrowth:
There are two ways how testing is commonly done for Candida overgrowth, namely:
- Blood testing
- Stool testing
Treating Candida Overgrowth:
To make sure you treat the root cause of Candida, you have to:
- Stop the yeast overgrowth
- Restore the healthy bacteria in the gut
- Heal the intestinal wall to stop Candida from going in the bloodstream.
In order to get rid of the overgrowth, you should cut out all refined carbohydrates and sugars, as this is fuel for the Candida overgrowth. Replace them with low GI carbs like grains, beans and fruit. But do so in moderation (about 1 cup per day).
You can follow the Diet in the free Manna Candida e-book as a low carbohydrate alternative.
Using diet alone could take three to six months before the Candida is back under control, therefore we suggest taking an anti-fungal supplement like the Manna Candida Support, which will not harm the good bacteria in the gut.
It’s a must to restore the healthy bacteria that typically keep your Candida population under control. To reinstate the “good” bacteria in the gut, we have formulated the Manna GUT Support. This product include not only the best and most needed probiotics, but also include the most important digestive enzymes and an amino acid called L-Glutamine to repair the inside wall of the gut.