Ingredients (4 servings)
- 4 (about 900g) chicken thigh cutlets, skinned, excess fat trimmed
- 1 large brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh continental parsley stems
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2L (8 cups) water
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Sea salt flakes (or any other coarse salt of choice)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley, extra
Combine chicken, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, parsley, thyme, water and peppercorns in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
Use tongs to transfer the chicken to a clean work surface. Hold with tongs and cut the chicken meat from the bones. Discard bones. Tear the chicken meat and add to the soup.
Taste and season with sea salt. Ladle soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with extra parsley and serve immediately.