Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- ½ cup (105g) pearl barley
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g cans four-bean mix, rinsed, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely sliced flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until onion is soft. Add the barley and stir to coat in the onion mixture. Add the vegetable stock and 1 litre (4 cups) water, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until barley is slightly tender.
Add the beans and tomato, and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes or until barley is soft. Serve in bowls sprinkled with parsley.