Ingredients (makes 8 servings or half everything for 4 people)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 750g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced (4 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Kg lean beef chuck, cut into ± 35mm pieces
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped, fresh dill or parsley
Heat oil in a heavy pot. Add mushrooms, onions, pepper, garlic, and salt; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft (15 minutes).
Push vegetables aside, add beef, and cook, turning meat occasionally, until brown. Push beef aside. Add paprika, flour, and caraway; cook, stirring (1 minute). Gradually whisk in broth, then tomato paste; bring to a simmer, whisking. Stir vegetables and meat back into sauce.
Cover and simmer over low until meat is tender (1½ hours). Stir in dill or parsley. Serve.