Usually when we hear “menopause’; our minds drift to things like hot flashes and mood swings. This means that we often overlook some of the other most common symptoms of menopause, like gaining weight and feeling bloated. These are quite often some of the most devastating menopausal symptoms as weight gain is never a delight, and the added bloating can cause severe discomfort. Luckily there are some ways to decrease or prevent these annoying symptoms.
Before we can understand how to fight these symptoms, we first have to learn what causes them and what they mean.
A Basic Overview of Menopausal Weight Gain:
The cause of menopausal weight gain and bloating is, like most other menopausal symptoms, changes in hormone levels. This is usually linked back to the decline in estrogen levels that a women experiences during menopause.
Due to these hormone fluctuations, a woman usually gains about 4kg-7kg on average during menopause. It is important to note that the changes in hormones also typically change the location of the fat storage. While women are usually more prone to gaining weight in their thighs and bottoms, the weight gain seems to be shifted to the belly during menopause.
However, abdominal fat is much more than just a cosmetic eyesore; it can spell danger for your health!
Extra belly weight can increase your risk of developing issues like heart disease, insulin resistance, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Apart from the affects of menopause, women usually start to lose muscle mass simply due to age. This is why it is as important as ever to stay active and even increase your physical activity as you become alder.
Although weight gain and bloating are normal symptoms of menopause, they can be minimized and prevented. Some simple tips to help fight menopausal bloating and weight gain are:
- Exercise regularly. At least 150 minutes of cardio exercise per week, combined with medium strength training exercises is recommended.
- Cut back by 200 calories per day to help manage your weight in your 50s.
- Foods that a must for menopausal women include: bananas, blueberries, leafy greens, salmon, whole grains and yogurt.
- See the Manna Diet eBook for ways and means to healthy weight loss.
- Increase your estrogens levels the natural way with a supplement like the Manna Menopause Support.
If you get bloated a lot, try to reinstate healthy bacteria to your digestive tract with the Manna GUT Support.