Heart friendly and low fat, this version of a paella is so easy to make it will become a firm favorite in no time!
Preparation Time (15 minutes) Cooking Time (45 minutes)
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 (about 600g) chicken breasts, halved
- 1 large red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red (“green pepper”) capsicum, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 330g (1½ cups) brown rice
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- Large pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 1 x 300g pkt frozen broad beans, thawed, peeled
- 150g (1 cup) frozen baby peas
- 1 tbs fresh thyme leaves
Heat the oil in a 30cm (base measurement) non-stick paella pan or frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add the onion, capsicum and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the rice, tomato, paprika and saffron and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, without stirring, for 15 minutes.
Add the chicken to the rice mixture and cook for 10 minutes or until almost all the liquid has been absorbed. Add water and sprinkle over the broad beans, peas and thyme. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
Season the paella with salt and pepper and divide among serving plates to serve.