A tasty sweet potato and avocado salad which makes good use of seasonal produce.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2½ tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) avocado oil
- 700g sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 200g mixed salad leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, sprigs picked
- Whisk the egg yolk, ginger, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a bowl. Add a little of the avocado oil and whisk until combined. Gradually add the remaining avocado oil, a few drops at a time, until the mixture is thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato in a bowl. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Add the sweet potato to the grill and cook for 4 minutes each side or until tender and slightly charred. Set aside to cool.
- Arrange a layer of the salad leaves in a large serving bowl. Top with some of the sweet potato, avocado and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a little of the dressing. Continue layering with the remaining salad leaves, sweet potato, avocado, coriander and dressing.
Serves 6 as an accompaniment.
Make it beforehand
Prepare to the end of step 1 up to 1 day ahead. Cover. Store in the fridge. Continue to the end of step 2 up to 2 hours ahead. Cover the salad. Continue from step 3, 10 minutes before serving. Shopping tip: Look for lime-infused avocado oil in the olive oil section at Woolworths. If unavailable, use avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil.