Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 large (500g each) eggplant
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup (250g) ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon currants
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
- 500g tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat pizza cheese
- Steamed green beans and any salad of choice, to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm x 28cm (base) baking dish. Place currants in a bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes. Drain.
Cut each eggplant lengthways into 6 slices. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray eggplant with oil. Cook, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until browned and tender.
Combine ricotta, basil, currants, almonds, parmesan, breadcrumbs and egg yolk in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon three-quarters pasta sauce into prepared dish. Place 1 heaped tablespoon ricotta mixture on 1 eggplant slice. Roll up to enclose. Place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and ricotta mixture. Top with remaining pasta sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is golden and sauce bubbling. Serve with vegetables and salad.