Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500ml) Campbell’s Real Stock Beef
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
Preheat oven to 150°C. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole pan over medium-high heat. Add one-quarter of the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 3 more batches with remaining beef, reheating pan between each batch.
Heat remaining oil in pan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Scatter the flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until well combined. Add the beef and red wine and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wine reduces by half. Add the beef stock, tomatoes and bouquet garni and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
Bake in preheated oven, loosely covered, stirring occasionally, for 1½ – 2 hours or until beef is tender and sauce thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.