Hearty comfort meets healthy eating in this delicious low-fat soup recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g small chat potatoes, lightly chopped (see note)
- 4 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 x 300g cans soya beans, rinsed, drained (see note)
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed, washed, chopped
- 1/3 cup continental parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add potatoes and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
- Add stock, tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in soya beans and cook, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and parsley. Cook for 1 minute, or until spinach wilts. Season with pepper.
Note 1: Chat potatoes are small young potatoes of any variety. Note 2: Soya beans contain a large amount of protein, and vitamins A and B.