This chili gets hearty flavor from beans, bell peppers and corn, while using only a small amount of beef. Top it with your choice of classic garnishes, such as sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 250g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen diced bell peppers
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 (±400g)cans no-salt added beans, such as kidney and black
- ¼ cup tomato paste
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Add broth, bell peppers, corn, beans and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors blend, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 280 calories (50 from fat), 6g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 40g total carbohydrate (11g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 19g protein