Ingredients (makes 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 750g beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
Add tomatoes, stock and paste. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove cover. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.