Lean protein, greens and whole grains all in this one-pot weeknight meal. Make sure to cut chicken and broccoli into bite-size pieces so they’ll cook evenly.
- 3½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Bring ½ cup broth to a simmer in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, rice and remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 30 minutes. Add broccoli and continue to cook about 15 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove covered pot from heat and let sit 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in thyme and serve.
Per serving 516g: 370 calories (90 from fat), 9g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 50mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 45g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 25g protein