Spring has finally sprung – and if you’re thinking it’s time to shed some of those extra winter kilos, this tasty salad is a good place to start.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- olive oil cooking spray
- 800g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 3 baby marrow, sliced diagonally
- 2 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 120g baby rocket
- ¼ cup basil leaves, shredded
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Preheat a barbecue grill and plate on medium heat. Spray chicken, baby marrow, bell pepper, and asparagus with oil.
Add chicken and baby marrow to barbecue grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
Meanwhile, add bell pepper, skin side down, to barbecue grill. Cook for 4 minutes or until skin is black and blistered. Transfer to a snap-lock bag. Twist to seal and set aside for 5 minutes. Add asparagus to barbecue plate. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until tender.
Peel and discard skin from bell pepper. Cut bell pepper flesh into long, thin strips and place in a bowl. Add baby marrow, asparagus, rocket and basil to bell pepper. Slice chicken and add to salad. Toss to combine.
Whisk vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour over salad. Toss to coat. Serve.
- Note: Green asparagus only requires the base to be trimmed, as it’s tough and woody. Cut 2cm to 3cm off the base. Once trimmed, the base should be moist, not dry. Or you can snap off the coarse ends with your forefinger and thumb.