Ingredients (serves 4)
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 small (about 300g) eggplant, ends trimmed, cut lengthways into four 1cm-thick slices
- 300g sweet potato, peeled, cut lengthways into four 5mm-thick slices
- 1 large zucchini (baby marrow), ends trimmed, cut into eight 5mm-thick slices diagonally
- 250g low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tbs chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 75g baby spinach leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the tomato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Meanwhile, preheat a chargrill on high. Spray the eggplant, sweet potato and zucchini with olive oil spray. Cook the eggplant and sweet potato on grill, in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes each side or until almost tender and lightly charred. Transfer to a plate. Cook the zucchini on grill for 1-2 minutes or until almost tender and lightly charred.Transfer to the plate.
Combine the cottage cheese, chopped basil and lemon rind in a bowl. Spread 125ml (1/2 cup) of the tomato mixture over the base of a rectangular 3L (12-cup) capacity baking dish. Arrange the eggplant, in a single layer, on top. Divide half the cottage cheese mixture among the eggplant slices and top with half the spinach. Continue layering with the sweet potato, remaining cottage cheese mixture and remaining spinach. Top with zucchini.
Top with the remaining tomato mixture. Season with pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Divide the vegetable stacks among serving plates and spoon over the tomato mixture from the pan. Sprinkle with basil leaves and serve with mixed salad leaves.