Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillets
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, leaves intact, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup grated parmesan, to serve
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Place the lentils in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Bring the stock and water to the boil in the saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat and add chicken. Place over low heat and simmer, covered, for 15 mins or until cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a plate.
Increase heat to high. Add the lentils, tomato, onion, celery, carrot and bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 45-50 mins or until lentils are tender. Season to taste.
Shred the chicken and return to the soup. Ladle among bowls. Top with parmesan and parsley.