A warming and delicious cool weather soup, this hearty lentil and chicken soup will leave you feeling souper!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets (185g each), cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 tbs barley
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken stock
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbs thick plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the chicken and stir over the heat to sear. Add the turmeric and cumin and cook for another minute.
Add the tomato, lentils, pearl barley and stock to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Stir through the lime juice. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh coriander.