Savour the rich flavors of Spanish chicken with chili and paprika.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- 8 skinless chicken thigh cutlets
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 long fresh green chilies, seeded, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 3 dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Steamed Basmati rice, to serve
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook half the chicken for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook the onion, bell pepper (capsicum) and chili, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the paprika and stir to coat. Add the chicken, tomato, stock and bay leaves.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and starts to fall off the bone. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Serve with steamed Basmati rice.