Combine the ingredients for the salsa – except the cheese – up to a few hours before dinner, and store at room temperature; pound the chicken ahead of time, and keep chilled.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 (±170 – 200 gram) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Combine tomato, onion, basil, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 3 chicken breast halves to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is browned and done. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 chicken breast halves.
- Stir cheese into tomato mixture. Place 1 chicken breast half on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1/3 cup salsa.