Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ±750g skinless chicken breast, cut into ±25mm cubes
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 heaping Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 apple (tart or sweet, your preference), peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (just lightly packed)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise optional
- Heat olive oil on medium/medium-high heat in a thick-bottomed sauté pan. Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring frequently until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some salt on the chicken pieces while cooking. Check doneness by removing the thickest piece and cutting it in half. If it is still pink in the middle, keep cooking. Try not to overcook the chicken or it will be dry. Remove chicken pieces with a slotted spoon, set aside in a bowl.
- Add yellow onion and cook. After a few minutes, when the onions are beginning to get translucent, add 2 heaping tablespoons of yellow curry powder. Cook a few minutes more, stirring frequently. If the curry sticks to the bottom or the mixture gets dry, add a bit more olive oil to the pan. As you stir, scrape up the stuck curry bits. Add raisins, and cook, stirring another minute. (If adding optional mayonnaise, remove curry from heat and mix in mayo.) Add raisin and onion mixture to chicken and mix well, coating the chicken pieces with the curry infused olive oil. Refrigerate until cool. At this point you can make the salad a day head of time.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, mix in the apple, green onions, and cilantro.