Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 400g chicken breast fillets, trimmed, cut into thin strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs chipotle chillies in adobo sauce or chilli jam (see note)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped
- Pickled jalapeno chillies (see note), sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced tomatoes and steamed rice (optional), to serve
- 2 lettuces, outer leaves discarded, leaves separated
Heat 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tbs oil. Add half the onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add garlic, tomato, chipotle, cumin and sugar, and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes or until cooked through. Season and squeeze over the lime juice.
Place coriander, jalapeno, avocado, sour cream, tomato, rice and remaining onion in small bowls. Serve with chicken, lettuce to wrap and lime wedges to squeeze over.