Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 (450g each) eggplant, cut into 1cm-thick rounds olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 410g can diced tomatoes (with onion and garlic if possible)
- 1½ cups skinless shredded roast chicken
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yoghurt
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 220ºC/200°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 7 cup-capacity square baking dish. Place eggplant on a tray. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel.
Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray both sides eggplant with oil. Cook, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
Spray pan with oil. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add spice. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and parsley. Stir to combine.
Arrange half the eggplant in prepared dish. Top with chicken mixture. Top with remaining eggplant. Top with yoghurt. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.