Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg diced beef chuck or blade steak
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x 425g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in 4 batches, stirring, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onions, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
Return beef to pan with tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
Divide the casserole between 4 plates.