Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 2cm slices
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 450g savoy cabbage, thickly shredded
- Extra virgin olive oil, shaved vegetarian hard cheese and crusty bread, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomato paste. Stir to coat. Add lentils, tomatoes, stock, cabbage and 2 cups cold water. Cover. Simmer for 40 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide soup between bowls. Top with olive oil and parmesan. Serve with bread.