Diabetes is a growing problem due to our lifestyles and diets that are filled with foods that are rich in carbohydrates and sugar. But luckily it does not have to be that way.
Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes are becoming more and more of a problem every day. It occurs when the insulin in the body does not work as effectively as it should, and this is caused by constant high blood sugar levels.
Insulin is needed to keep blood sugar levels stable, and they do this by helping the sugar from food we eat to be used as either a source of immediate energy, or store it as fat for later use. However, if insulin does not work the way it should, it can cause the body to use less of the sugar for energy, which leaves us feeling drained, and it makes the body store more of it as fat, which makes us pick up weight.
Diabetes can increase the risk of other health issues like kidney failure, the need for amputations of limbs due to improper blood flow, heart disease and other cardiovascular issues, as well as problems with sight.
Who Should Be Tested for Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes?
It is recommended that everybody goes for testing for diabetes and pre-diabetes, but even more so if you are overweight or obese.
Other risk factors for diabetes include:
- Not being physically active
- Suffering from insulin resistance
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Giving birth to a baby weighing more than 4.5kg
- Being diagnosed with gestational diabetes (pregnancy diabetes)
- Having high blood pressure (140/90 mmHg or higher)
- Levels of HDL (good cholesterol) below 35 mg/dL
- Suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Having a condition called acanthosis nigricans, characterized by a dark, velvety rash around the neck or armpits
- A history of cardiovascular disease
If results of testing are normal, testing should be repeated at least every 3 years. Doctors may recommend more frequent testing depending on initial results and risk status.
What to do to prevent type 2 Diabetes?
Follow the Manna Diet in the FREE e-book, Take 2 Manna Blood Sugar Support caplets with each meal to control blood sugar levels and cravings, start to exercise and getting enough, quality sleep can help to prevent diabetes and lose weight before it is too late.