Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4-6 lamb shanks, trimmed
- flour, for dusting
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 large celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 6 pickling onions, peeled and halved
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) beef stock
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 150g baby spinach leaves
Dust the lamb shanks in the flour, salt and pepper, and shake off excess.
Heat a little olive oil in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the lamb shanks, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
Reduce heat to low and return all the lamb shanks to the pan. Add the carrot, celery and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato, beef stock, rosemary and thyme. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 1 hour.
Uncover and continue cooking, stirring regularly, for another 30 minutes or until shanks are very tender.
Stir through the baby spinach leaves and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until wilted.