Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Olive oil spray
- 4 large flat mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, halved crossways
- 1 large char grilled red (green pepper), cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- 125g (1/2 cup) low-fat ricotta
- Balsamic vinegar, extra, to serve
Combine the lentils, onion, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl.
Preheat a chargrill on high. Spray with olive oil spray to lightly grease. Cook the mushrooms on grill for 3 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender. Transfer to a plate. Cook the asparagus on grill for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly charred and tender crisp.
Add the asparagus, capsicum and parsley to the lentil mixture and toss to combine. Season with pepper.
Halve the mushrooms. Break the ricotta into coarse pieces. Divide the lentil mixture among serving bowls. Top with the mushroom. Drizzle over a little extra vinegar. Top with the ricotta. Season with pepper to serve.
Cook’s tip: If you don’t have a chargrill, use a large heavy-based frying pan in step 2.
Char grilled Green Pepper: To make your own char grilled green pepper, preheat grill on high. Halve and deseed green pepper. Cook under grill for 10 minutes or until charred and blistered. Transfer to a sealable plastic bag. Set aside for 5 minutes. Peel and discard the skin.