Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock (see note)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Olive oil (optional), to drizzle
- 25g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in lentils, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and oregano. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture reduces slightly. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Process half the soup in a food processor until smooth. Return to the pan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until heated through. Stir in the parsley.
Divide among serving bowls. Drizzle over oil, if desired. Top with parmesan.