One of the healthiest foods around, lentils are low in fat and very versatile – perfect for salads, soups and sides. Packed with veggies, this hearty lentil soup wins for taste and budget.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 750ml (3 cups) boiling water
- 1 tsp Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 400g can lentils, rinsed, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 250g broccoli, cut into small florets
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
Combine the water and stock powder in a large heatproof jug.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery and garlic, stirring, for 6 minutes or until soft. Add the sweet potato. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined.
Add the stock mixture, lentils and tomato. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Add broccoli. Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until broccoli is tender crisp.
Divide the soup among serving bowls and top with parsley.