Lower GI – but not in flavor – this dish of lean mince beef and chilli spices is a one pot wonder.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 medium zucchini (baby marrow), grated
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 420g can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 200g tub fat-free plain yogurt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, to serve
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add carrot and zucchini (baby marrow). Stir until coated. Add tomatoes and beans. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with yogurt and rice.
Note: You can freeze chili con carne in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw in fridge overnight. Add water if too thick while reheating.