Get your veg-fix with this hearty stew packed with the best of the season’s vegetables.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bacon rashers, cut into thin matchsticks (optional)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 400g can mixed beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, garlic and bacon(optional), stirring, for 6-8 minutes until onion is soft and bacon is crisp. Stir in paste and cook for 1 minute. Add potato, chopped tomato, stock and sugar, season, then simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the sauce is slightly thickened. Add beans and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Divide stew among bowls, top with parsley leaves and serve.