Ingredients (serve 4)
- 2 eggplants cut into 3-4cm chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella, torn into chunks
- Basil or rocket leaves, to serve
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper for easy clean-up. Toss eggplants with oil, honey, salt and pepper, arrange in a single layer on prepared tray and bake until golden and tender (about 20 minutes). Place whole red peppers in the oven to roast at the same time as the eggplants.
While eggplants and peppers are cooking, make the Basil Dressing by placing basil leaves in a sieve and pouring over boiling water to wilt. Cool at once under running water, drain, then whizz in a food processor with oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
Remove eggplants and peppers from oven, cover with baking paper and a tea towel and allow to cool. Peel and deseed cooled peppers and tear into strips. Toss in a serving bowl with eggplants, tomatoes, mozzarella, salt and pepper. Top with basil or rocket leaves, drizzle with Basil Dressing and serve at room temperature.