Gather your amigos – with this one-pan dish it’s easy to enjoy a midweek meal Mexican feast!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 small chicken drumsticks
- 1 medium onion, quartered, thinly sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 375g chunky salsa (see recipe below)
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup white brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Combine chilli powder, oregano, ground coriander, garlic and half the oil in a large bowl. Add chicken. Rub chilli powder mixture over chicken.
Heat remaining oil in a flameproof baking dish over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat. Add onion, tomato, salsa and stock to pan. Turn chicken to coat.
Bake for 50 minutes, turning chicken halfway through cooking. Add beans and rice. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken cooked through. Stir in chopped coriander. Sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve.