For a midweek meal with wow-factor, look no further than our spicy Mexican seafood soup.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 500g good-quality seafood mix
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno or long green chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 500ml good-quality fish or chicken stock
- 2 corn cobs
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Sour cream, chopped avocado, coriander leaves and tortillas, to serve
Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. In a bowl toss the seafood with half the paprika, then season and cook, turning, for 2-3 minutes until seafood is lightly seared and just cooked. Remove seafood from pan and set aside.
Add onion to pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add garlic, capsicum, chilli, dried herbs, spices and remaining 1/2 tsp paprika and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until soft. Reduce to medium-low heat, then add tomato and stock. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
Cut kernels off corn cobs. Add kernels to soup with cooked seafood. Simmer for 2 minutes to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in lime zest and juice. Season.
Divide soup among 4 bowls and serve with sour cream, avocado, coriander and warm tortillas.