Ingredients (serve 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large (900g) lamb shanks
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon beef stock powder
- ½ cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shanks. Cook, turning, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Return shanks to pan with tomato, stock powder and 6 cups cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour. Add lentils. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until lentils and shanks are tender.
Remove pan from heat. Remove shanks. Remove and discard bones and fat. Shred meat. Add meat and parsley to pan. Return pan to heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve.