Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 large (800g) eggplant, cut lengthways into 5mm-thick slices
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 350g fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cups tomato passata (see passata recipe)
- ¾ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Salad leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 5cm-deep, 20cm (base) square baking dish. Lightly spray eggplant with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray. Drizzle eggplant with lemon juice. Reserve 12 slices of eggplant. Chop remaining eggplant.
Combine ricotta, chopped eggplant, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano and nutmeg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1 eggplant slice on a flat surface. Top with 2 tablespoons of ricotta mixture. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Place, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices and ricotta.
Pour passata over eggplant rolls. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.