Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 (about 1.3kg each) whole fresh chickens, each cut into 4 or 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 435ml (1¾ cups) chicken stock
- 90g (1/3 cup) light sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook half the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Add the paprika and fennel seeds. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomato and stock. Add the chicken. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley.