Ingredients (serve 6)
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked or normal ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 large zucchini (baby marrow), diced
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 quantity chicken stock with chopped chicken (see related recipe) or 2L premixed chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion has softened. Add garlic, cumin, paprika and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add capsicum and zucchini. Cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, 2 litres stock and 2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil.
Add chickpeas and 4 cups chicken. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetable are tender. Stir in oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.