Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 large red bell pepper (capsicum), cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium baby marrow (zucchini), cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 400g can finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 4 x 200g sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Salad leaves, to serve
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add chilli. Stir to combine. Add capsicum, eggplant and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables have just softened.
Add vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until vinegar has evaporated. Add tomato and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove cover. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened.
Meanwhile, place steak on a large plate. Sprinkle with pepper and press to lightly coat. Drizzle steak with remaining oil. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steak. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Rest for 5 minutes. Serve steak with ratatouille and salad leaves.