Ingredients (serve 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), halved, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 yellow capsicum (bell pepper), halved, seeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium zucchini (baby marrow), cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 4 eggs
- Fresh parsley leaves, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the combined capsicum, eggplant and zucchini, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with pepper.
Meanwhile, crack each egg into a separate small bowl or cup. Fill a frying pan with water to at least 5cm deep. Place the frying pan over high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and carefully slide the eggs into the water. Cover the pan with a lid and set aside for 3 minutes or until the whites are opaque and just firm. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to a plate lined with paper towel.
Divide ratatouille among serving plates. Top with egg and parsley.