- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint, plus additional for serving
- 1 cup red lentils
- ¼ cup coarse bulgur wheat (or barley)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Butter, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In large pot over medium heat, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper with the extra virgin olive oil. Cook until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, tomato paste, and mint, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lentils and bulgur wheat, and cover with the vegetable stock and 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the lentils are tender. Serve each bowl with a little pat of butter on top, letting it melt, along with a sprinkle of mint, red pepper and the lemon wedges.