- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 750g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 large red bell pepper (capsicums) cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Parsley and sour cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat remaining oil in dish. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Return beef to dish. Add flour and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bay leaves.
Stir in stock and tomato. Cover dish. Bring to the boil. Transfer to oven. Bake for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
Spoon 1/4 cup liquid from goulash into a bowl. Add sour cream. Stir until smooth and combined. Add to goulash. Stir to combine. Serve.