Serves 4 to 6
A real South African healthy, hearty, “lekker” thick soup for our very cold winter days.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 smoked ham shank or (Eisbein)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup long-grain or brown rice
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Red chili pepper hot sauce (optional)
- Rinse black-eyed peas and soak in water to cover for 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain peas and transfer to a large soup pot.
- Add water, onion, ham shank and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until peas are tender but still whole, about 45 minutes.
- Add rice, green pepper, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- If desired, season with red chili pepper hot sauce.
- Remove ham shank before serving or take it out, cut it in small pieces and add it to the soup before serving.