Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild Indian curry powder
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock (low sodium)
- ½ cup dried green lentils, washed, drained
- 2 red bell peppers (capsicums), chopped
- 2 (230g) small eggplants, chopped
- plain yogurt and coriander leaves, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add curry powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add tomato, stock, 2 cups cold water and lentils. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add bell pepper (capsicum) and eggplant. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Season with pepper. Serve soup with yogurt and coriander.