Quick, easy and delicious, this chilli is perfect for a stress-free week night dinner. The corn adds a mildly sweet flavour to the spicy sauce. Add a can of kidney beans for extra nutrition. Lean ground beef may also be substituted for the chicken.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Cayenne powder to taste
- 500g ground/finely chopped chicken breast
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup mild or medium salsa
- 1 (500g) bag frozen corn kernels, or 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (leaves of coriander plant)
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are translucent. Stir in chilli powder, oregano, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken. Stir to break up and brown for 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, salsa and corn. Season with salt, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until flavours have melded and chilli is thick. Stir in cilantro and serve.