This hearty sweet-and-savory bean salad gets a uniquely delicious layer of flavor from rich and tangy Gouda cheese. Beans tend to absorb flavors as they sit, so always taste the salad just before you serve it and add more salt, pepper or vinegar a little at a time if the flavor needs perking up.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups steamed, cooled and chopped green beans
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced Gouda cheese
- ½ red onion, diced
In a large bowl, whisk together honey, mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Add black beans, kidney beans, green beans, tomato, Gouda and onion and toss. Refrigerate and allow flavors to blend for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day; taste just before serving and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Per serving: 270 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 14g protein