Ingredients (serves 4)
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, seeded, chopped
- ½ red capsicum(bell pepper), chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 420g can mixed beans, drained, rinsed
- 420g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 425g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, fresh chilli and capsicum and cook until softened. Add the chilli flakes, cinnamon, cumin and thyme and cook for a further minute.
Reduce heat to low and add the garlic, beans, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining oil.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in the parsley and serve with warm flour tortillas or steamed rice and sprinkle with grated cheese, if desired.